To finish up our review of lichen sclerosus, I want to leave you with some important points:
- Pruritus is the most common symptom, occurring in 99% of women, vulvar irritation occurs in 60%, and vulvar burning and painful sex in 30%
- High potency corticosteroids are the treatment of choice with 80% experiencing complete remission
- Clobetasol 0.05% ointment is the medication most often prescribed
- Ointments are used instead of lotions because of less irritation, and there are rarely any adverse effects with long-term use
- The treatment protocol usually entails a few months of daily use, followed by a gradual decease, then followed by use as needed
Find about more about lichen sclerosus in: Could You Have Lichen Sclerosus?