Just yesterday one of my patients asked me about the effectiveness of the morning-after pill in a woman like herself, who was overweight. I knew that obesity could be associated with a decrease in the effectiveness of the birth control pill and the morning-after pill, but I could not give her better information.
Recently, there were a few review articles showing that studies are limited. Let me give you some questions to ask your health care provider about this situation, especially since about 25% of women in the childbearing age group are considered to be obese based on their BMI:
- How effective is the birth control pill in overweight women?
- Being overweight, is there a pill that could be more effective?
- Could a vaginal ring or IUD be a better consideration?
- Is the risk of blood clots increased with the pill?
- Does bariatric surgery have any effects with the use of the pill?
I hope these questions will open the door for a good discussion so that the best medical treatment plan can be established.