Crockpot Rosemary Chicken & Mushroom Risotto
This is one of my weekend favorites. 2-3 hrs in the slow cooker and before you know it, a superbly delicious, soul-warming meal. I use this when I have leftover chicken handy, usually grilled chicken or leftover rotisserie minus the skin. Skip the chicken and rosemary and you've got yourself a wonderful vegetarian mushroom risotto! Either way, enjoy 😉
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups precooked chicken skinless
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms about 8 oz
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 3/4 cups uncooked Arborio rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup dry white wine or additional chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Rosemary or a few fresh sprigs
- Asiago or parmesan cheese shreds optional
- Fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley leaves optional
- In a large skillet saute mushrooms, onions and garlic in olive oil over medium heat . Cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until mushrooms are lightly browned and liquid is evaporated, stirring occasionally.
- Add in rice, stirring to coat for 2 minutes.
- Dump the rice mixture to a 4-quart crockpot. Stir in broth, chicken, wine, and pepper.
- Cover and cook – low-heat setting about 2 hours and 45 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Top with cheese and/or parsley. Serve immediately.
Cooking times may vary a little depending on slow cooker brands. Some run hotter than others. For this recipe, I used Crock-Pot.