Chicken & Sweet Potato stew
This skillet recipe is a colorful and healthy main dish that can be on the table in just over an hour. The subtle, sweet-spicy flavor is a nice surprise.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breast halves cut into cubes
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and chopped
- ½ pound white button mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper or more to taste
- 1 pinch paprika or more to taste
- 1 pinch sea salt or more to taste
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute onion, garlic and mushrooms in hot oil until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir chicken, sweet potatoes, spinach, crushed red pepper, paprika, and sea salt with the onion and garlic in the saucepan. Pour as much chicken broth into the saucepan to make the mixture as soup-like or stew-like as you’d like it.
- Bring the broth to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle and the sweet potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.