Spaghetti Squash with Broccoli
In this low-carb spaghetti squash lasagna recipe, garlicky broccoli, spaghetti squash and cheese are combined for a healthy take on a favorite casserole. This bakes right in the squash shells for a fun presentation.
Servings: 2 people
- 1 2 - 3lb Spaghetti Squash
- 1 Tablespoon Extra-Virgin Olive oil
- 1 Bunch Broccoli ( or Broccolini) Chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 1/4 Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons Water
- 1 Cup Shredded Mozzarella cheese (part-skim)
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 3/4 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Pepper
- Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 450°F.
- Place squash cut-side down in a microwave-safe dish; add 2 tablespoons water. Microwave, uncovered, on High until the flesh is tender, about 10 minutes. (Alternatively, place squash halves cut-side down on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake in a 400°F oven until the squash is tender, 40 to 50 minutes.)
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add broccolini, garlic and red pepper (if using); cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Add water and cook, stirring, until the broccolini is tender, 3 to 5 minutes more. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Use a fork to scrape the squash from the shells into the bowl. Place the shells in a broiler-safe baking pan or on a baking sheet. Stir ¾ cup mozzarella, 2 tablespoons Parmesan, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper into the squash mixture. Divide it between the shells; top with the remaining ¼ cup mozzarella and 2 tablespoons Parmesan.
- Bake on the lower rack for 10 minutes. Move to the upper rack, turn the broiler to high and broil, watching carefully, until the cheese starts to brown, about 2 minutes.
- Easy cleanup: To save time and keep your baking sheet looking fresh, line it with a layer of foil before you bake.